Postponed due to record-breaking heat wave.
Dear Community and Friends of Community,
We have decided it is prudent to postpone the Grand Celebration of our new center because of the heat wave Portland is experiencing. We made this decision after a number of people expressed their concern about the effects of three days of 100-plus heat on our not-airconditioned building, and after we studied how much afternoon sun would be coming in under the tent on such a hot weekend.
We are moving the Grand Celebration to October 21st, when the renovation of the lower level will be much further along and more boxes will be unpacked so it will be easier to see how lovely our new center really is. To all of you who brought books and items for the Dharma sale, who offered to bake, or volunteered for setting up and helping, thank you so much! Never fear, everything will be reactivated in a few weeks.
As our poet Cynthia Huntington wrote when she heard the news:
First too cold!
Celebrating purchase of new center was postponed for snow
Now too hot!
We’re having way too much sun
Ahhh, Oct 21st Grand Opening Celebration
This sounds just right!
Stay safe, everyone,
Linda B and Linda G
KCC is settling in to our new address at 4936 NE Skidmore St in Portland after decades of effort. Everyone’s invited to celebrate our beautiful new home.
Bring your families and friends. Invite people you know from other sanghas.
- Tours of the building every hour, on the half hour
- Community Sit for Mindfulness in the tent outside from 1:00 to 5:00 pm with four guided practice sessions. All are invited to sit for as little or as long as feels right to them.
- Sale of used Dharma books and items
- Bake Sale because our sangha has THE BEST BAKERS
- Celebratory toast and roast to thank all those who have worked so hard to make our new home a reality.
To learn how to contribute to the Dharma Sale or Bake Sale, gather donations for KCC, or volunteer to help with our Grand Celebration, click on the Read More link.How can you be involved and help make this event a success? Let us count the ways:
- Attend the Grand Celebration, and encourage your friends and families to drop by too.
- Donate used Dharma books and items to the Dharma Sale. Bring donations to KCC on Sunday, July 30th, between 11 am and 6:00 pm, or contact Linda Grove at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a specific appointment for delivery during the week of July 24th through 28.
- Sign on to contribute something yummy for the Bake Sale by contacting email@example.com, by July 25th at the latest. Please use “Bake Sale” as the subject line in the email.
- Ask those in your circles of relatives, friends and colleagues to “sponsor” your service at KCC by making a donation. There are many people who wish to practice or participate in the Dharma and can’t right now. This is a lovely way for them to accumulate merit. (By way of example, much of what we have accomplished at SCOL has been supported by donations from people who are not part of KCC.) You can frame this however it works for you: Someone could sponsor one of your on-going volunteer efforts, your sit-a-thon during the afternoon, or the service that KCC brings by offering the Dharma free-of-charge. We hope to raise $5,000. If 50 people ask five friends for $20 each, we’re there. For donation materials, contact Brooke Huffman at jbrookehuffmanND@gmail.com or Linda Besant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It’s easy to do one or two of the things above, AND volunteer for part of the day. Contact jbrookehuffmanND@gmail.com to sign up to help the day of the Celebration. Many hands make light work!
May all beings benefit!